Wow. Northern Lights in North Iowa. A rare occurrence to be sure. Taken about 10:30 pm on June 22. The purple streaks were pulsing nearly overhead.
I follow several Aurora forecast web sites including spaceweatherlive.com, f5data.net, softservenews.com and the active Facebook group Great Lakes Aurora Hunters. One of the measures of Aurora strength is the Kp index. In North Iowa it generally needs to be at least 7 or higher to see the Northern Lights. Tonight there was a Kp of 8.
24mm lens on a full-frame camera, ISO 800, f/5.0, 25 sec.
Click the image to see larger.
- Animals/Birds of the Badlands, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks 2016
- National Parks Landscapes 2016
- Animals of Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands 2014
- Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands Landscapes 2014
- Animals of Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands 2012
- Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands Landscapes 2012
- Animals of Yellowstone 2011
- Birds of Yellowstone 2011
- Yellowstone/Tetons Landscapes 2011
- Yellowstone Textures
- Custer State Park, SD
- Great Smoky Mountains NP
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Utah National Parks
- About Me
- New Page