Click here for twelve new Loon photos along with previous photos of the Loons.
The Common Loon, the Minnesota State bird is one of my favorites (well, okay, I have a lot of favorites). These photos were taken the last weekend of May on a small lake near Park Rapids, Minnesota from a canoe. Some were taken in the evening an some in the early morning. I sat in the bottom of the canoe with the camera while my good friend Wayne paddled me around to get the best camera angle from a distance. There were two pairs of Loons and they didn't appear to be nesting nor displaying any courtship behavior other than staying fairly close together. An ocassional call echoed across the lake. Definitely my favorite bird call/song. Hand-holding a big telephoto lens in a canoe in the fading evening or early morning light in a moving, rocking canoe is a bit of a challenge (no sudden movements - don't want to tip the canoe!). I like the low-angle perspective being so close to the surface of the water.
- Animals/Birds of the Badlands, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks 2016
- National Parks Landscapes 2016
- Animals of Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands 2014
- Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands Landscapes 2014
- Animals of Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands 2012
- Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands Landscapes 2012
- Animals of Yellowstone 2011
- Birds of Yellowstone 2011
- Yellowstone/Tetons Landscapes 2011
- Yellowstone Textures
- Custer State Park, SD
- Great Smoky Mountains NP
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- About Me
Just a few notes about my photos. See more on Facebook.