Full-frame camera, 700mm lens, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/125sec., cropped slightly. This is a single exposure - not a composite photo. The windmill was about 1/4 mile away.
The full Moon rising on the Summer Solstice. The full moon in June is also called the 'Strawberry Moon', for the first time since 1967 coinciding with the solstice. I like old windmills and I've been planning this image for a long, long time and finally it all came together tonight - the full moon, very clear sky to the east, the moon rising in just the right spot so that I can get to a place to line up the camera, windmill, background and moon. I use the Photo Pills app on my phone to find he exact time and location to stand.
When the moon is overhead the light is passing through abut 10 or 12 miles of atmosphere. However, when it is rising or setting it is at an oblique angle and passing through hundreds of miles of atmosphere. This causes the light from the moon to refract in the atmosphere making it look much larger than when overhead, changing the shape slightly, giving the moon a warm color and not as clear or distinct in detail because of the light passing through so much of the atmosphere. Telephoto lenses also have the characteristic of causing objects in the distance to appear much larger in relation to foreground objects.
- Yellowstone In Winter
- Animals/Birds of the Badlands, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks 2016
- National Parks Landscapes 2016
- Animals of Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands 2014
- Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands Landscapes 2014
- Animals of Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands 2012
- Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands Landscapes 2012
- Animals of Yellowstone 2011
- Yellowstone/Tetons Landscapes 2011
- Yellowstone Textures
- Custer State Park, SD
- Great Smoky Mountains NP
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Utah National Parks
- About Me
Just a few notes about my photos. See more on Facebook.